LOVE IS AN ORIENTATION- Andrew Marin
Love is an Orientation: Elevating the Conversation with the Gay Community by Andrew Marin (InterVarsity, 2009) Waiting for permission to post digest. What follows is an abbreviated outline. You may purchase the book here.
- Forward: I decided to fully immerse myself in the GLBT community. My ultimate goal was to become, as I put it back then, “the most involved gayest straight dude on the face of the earth.”
- Chapter 1 We Don’t Need Your God!
- They’re just kids: Research now reports that the average age of someone who first realizes same-sex attraction is thirteen years old….
- The battlefield of coming out: Most adolescents experiencing same-sex attraction are too frightened to say anything to anybody for fear of what might happen,
- What happens on the other side of realization? What happens in the long run to a person who prays the same prayer every night and wakes up every morning not having that prayer answered? … The majority of GLBT people whom I have met over my nine years of being immersed in their community – believers and nonbelievers, black and white, men and women- have told me the same things: when they first realized their same sex thoughts and attractions they started to pray that God would take those unwanted feelings away. Even atheists have told me that they were willing to put their unbelief in God aside in the hope that he would make them straight like everyone else…
- Preconceived Ideas: …There is an undercurrent of preexisting negative perceptions of Christianity’s traditional belief system
- What Can Christians do?: The Christian community is by and large well intentioned
- Chapter 2.